Queensland University of Technology   Brisbane Australia Skip bannerSkip to content A university for the real world - Office of Research
QUT Home Research & Commercialisation
Contact us
OR Home About Us Research Development Research Ethics Research Data & Platform Research Finance Forms + Resources Research Achievement Database

Publication Collections: FAQs

Research Data & Platform
Publication Collections
HERDC Publication Collection
    A1 - Book
    B - Book Chapter
    C1 - Journal Article
  E1 - Conference Paper
  QUT Research Collection
  ERA Non-Traditional Outputs
  QUT Scholarly Collection
  Publication Contacts
  Getting Started
Information for New Staff
Research Reports
RDP Work Request
Institutes + Research Centres
Block Grants
Classifications + Codes
ResearchMaster Support
Contact Us

[Print-friendly version]

Below are the topic areas of questions frequently asked in relation to the HERDC, QUT Research and QUT Scholarly Publication Collections. Please click on the links below to find out more...and stay tuned as we'll be extending these over the coming year!

If there are particular questions you'd like answered or you need further clarification on anything listed below please let us know by emailing researchdata@qut.edu.au.

Authors and QUT affiliation

What do I do if the publication does not list the author as affiliated with QUT but the publication resulted in research they conducted in the QUT capacity?
If the publication does not list QUT, but is the result of research undertaken by a QUT staff member or higher degree research (HDR) student, QUT can still claim the publication if the author completes and signs a  Statement of QUT Affiliation. If the staff member/HDR student has since left QUT, or cannot be contacted to sign this form, the HOS can complete it on his/her behalf. The signed form must be included in the verification material sent to the Office of Research.

Adjuncts as QUT Authors
Adjunct Professors must have held a position at QUT during the period the research was carried out and this position needs to be recorded in the HR system. They also need to have a QUT affiliation recorded on the publication (ie QUT by-line) for the publication to be eligible for the HERDC.

Can I include publications from authors who were visitors to QUT?
QUT can claim the publication if the author certifies that the publication is the result of research they undertook while a visitor to QUT. To do this they must complete and sign a  Statement of QUT Affiliation. The signed form must be included in the verification material sent to the Office of Research. The visitor must have been recorded on the HR system for the period the research was carried out and have a QUT staff ID in order to be included as a QUT author in the HERDC collection.


Commercial publishers

What is the definition of a commercial publisher?

A commercial publisher is an entity for which the core business is publishing books and distributing them for sale.

If publishing is not the core business of an organisation but there is a distinct organisational entity devoted to commercial publication and its publications are not completely paid for or subsidised by the parent organisation or a third party, the publisher is acceptable as a commercial publisher.

HEP and other self-supporting HEP presses are also regarded as commercial publishers, provided that they have responsibility for distribution in addition to publication.

Books not published by a commercial publisher

For books and book chapters that are not published by a commercial publisher any of the following are acceptable as evidence of peer review:

  • there is a statement in the book which shows that contributions are peer reviewed and in the case of book chapters, which indicates which chapters are peer reviewed, if this does not apply to all content
  • there is a statement or acknowledgement from the publisher or editor which shows that contributions are peer reviewed
  • a copy of a reviewer's assessment relating to the book or book chapter.


HERDC Definition of Research (DOR)

Where can I read the HERDC Definition of Research?
All publications submitted to the HERDC must meet its definition of research, as detailed in the HERDC Specifications. Read HERDC definition of research.

Who at QUT checks that a publication meets the DOR?
Each month, the Office of Research will issue a report where a nominated faculty/institute senior academic (in most cases the ADR or Head of School), independent of the author, will check and accept that the definition of research has been met and that the publication should be included in the HERDC collection.


Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs)

What is a DOI?
A Digital Object Identifier (DOI) is a unique and persistent method for identifying the location of content on the web. When listed in a publication (eg. a journal article) they usually take the form: doi:10.nnnn/xxxx....x. For example, the journal article Chemical Discrimination by a Kinetic Model of Organic Photooxidation in a Heterosupramolecular Assembly has a DOI of 10.1016/j.jcis.2006.06.063

Unlike other web addresses, which can change over time, a publication's DOI does not change, even if it is relocated on the web. As such, it's the ideal web address to record in RM.

How do I convert a DOI into a web address?
To convert a DOI into a web address the DOI needs to be prefixed with 'http://dx.doi.org/'. For example, if the publication states the DOI as doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2006.06.063, the web address for the publication is http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.06.063.

Why do we now record DOIs in RM?
Including the DOI of an online journal article in RM means that we can save paper as, if the online article can be quickly and easily accessed from RM there's no need to keep a hard copy.


Foreign language publications

Can we include publications written in a foreign language?
Foreign language publications can be included in the HERDC as long as they meet the criteria for the respective category and the verification material is translated into English. It is not necessary to translate the entire publication, but the required verification material must be translated into English. This includes evidence that the work meets the HERDC Definition of Research.


Funded research projects

Why do I need to provide the related research project?
If the research publication is the result of a funded research project and this is recorded in RM this information will enable us to quickly and easily identify project publications and other project outcomes (this can be very handy when it's time to write the project's Final Report). If you are unsure of the related project's RM number please email researchdata@qut.edu.au.


Refereed journals

How do I know whether my journal article has been refereed?

For journal articles, any of the following are acceptable as evidence of peer review:

  • the journal is listed on the ARC's Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2012 or 2010 journal lists
  • the journal is listed in Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge Master Journal List
  • the journal is classified as 'refereed' in the Ulrich's Knowledgebase
  • there is a statement in the journal which shows that contributions are peer reviewed
  • there is a statement or acknowledgement from the journal editor which shows that contributions are peer reviewed
  • a copy of a reviewer's assessment relating to the article.


Related publications

What do I do if the same publication was published in more than one category?
QUT can only include each publication once within the HERDC, even if that publication was also published in a different year and/or in a different format. For example, if a conference paper is published in conference proceedings and is subsequently included as a chapter in a book, it can only be counted as a chapter OR as a conference paper, not both. You can still register both publications within RM, however only one can be included as a HERDC category; the other must be entered within the QUT Scholarly Publication Collection.

What if the second publication is similar but contains more information?
QUT can only include the second publication as a HERDC category if it is sufficiently different from the first - that is, the second publication must report a significant amount of new research.


Fields of Research (FOR) codes

What are FOR codes?
Field of Research (FoR) is a classification system designed primarily to meet the needs of the ABS and other Government Departments. FOR codes allow a publication or project to be classified according to the field of research. They are required for our reporting to ABS, for ARC and NHMRC applications and for ERA. The classification of our publications and projects is also important for tracking research activity. View a list of FOR codes.

Do I need to record FOR codes against my publication?
Yes. At least one FOR code needs to be recorded against all publications. If more than one FOR code is applicable to the publication, each code should be assigned a percentage depending on how relevant it is to the research leading to the publication. In addition, one of the selected codes must be deemed the primary code. The sum of the percentages must equal 100%. View a list of FOR codes.

How specific do I need to be when choosing FOR code(s)?
To ensure consistent and successful classification, publications (and projects) should be classified to field of research at the most detailed level. To do this, it is important to first determine the division in which the research was performed (2-digit FoR code), then the most relevant discipline within that division (4-digit FoR code) and then the most relevant subject within that division (6-digit FoR code). For example, if your publication is about industrial relations, this falls under the 2-digit code 150000 Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services, the 4-digit code 150300 Business and Management and then the 6-digit FoR code 150306 Industrial Relations so the FoR code recorded for this publications would be FoR Code 150306. To view a list of FOR codes.



Year of publication

If my article is published online in 2013, but will also be published in hardcopy at a later (as yet undefined) date, can I include it in this year's collection?
The Government has allowed journal articles published online in 2013 to be included in the current Collection so if you have evidence stating that your publication was published in 2013 please submit it to the Collection. Please note it cannot then be submitted again the following year when it is published.

What if a journal article was published in 2012, but was not available until 2013?
The expanded year of publication definition covers this scenario. The HEP must be able to demonstrate (in the verification material that they maintain) that the publication, although containing a 2012 publication date, was not published until after 30 June 2013. A letter from the publisher will be considered sufficient verification material to support the claim.

What do I do if I find a publication which should have been included in a previous year's collection, but wasn't?
Unfortunately, we cannot adjust HERDC data retrospectively, so nothing can be done. It is important to make sure all your eligible publications are recorded in RAD so that they are included in QUT's HERDC submission. You can, however, still have the publication included in either the QUT Scholarly Collection or QUT Research Collection as it may be eligible for ERA.